Sunday, 13 July 2008

My fave quotes from "Before Sunrise" (1995)

Среди обширного списка цитат из фильма, предлагаемого imdb и Wikiquote не было всего, что мне понравилось. Поэтому привожу свои любимые цитаты - в оригинале.

Céline: Have you ever heard that as couples get older, they lose their ability to hear each other?
Jesse: No.
Céline: Well, supposedly, men lose the ability to hear higher-pitched sounds, and women eventually lose hearing in the low end. I guess they sort of nullify each other, or something.
Jesse: I guess. Nature's way of allowing couples to grow old together without killing each other.



Jesse: ...And I have this idea for this show that would last 24 hours a day for a year straight, right? What you do, is you get 365 people from cities all over the world, to do these 24-hour documents of real time, right, capturing life as its lived...
Céline: Wait, wait. All those mundane, boring things everybody has to do everyday of their fucking life?
Jesse: I was going to say “The poetry of day-to-day life”, but you say the way you say it, I'll say it the way I say it...



Jesse: Why is it, that a dog, you know, sleeping in the sun, is so beautiful, you know, it is, it's beautiful, you know, but a guy, standing at a bank machine, trying to take some money out, looks like a complete moron?

*
Céline: You know my parents have never really spoken of the possibility of my falling in love, or getting married, or having children. Even as a little girl, they wanted me to think of a future career, as a, you know, as an interior designer, or a lawyer, or something like that. I'd say to my dad, 'I want to be a writer.' And he'd say ‘journalist’. I'd say I wanted to have a refuge for stray cats, and he'd say ‘veterinarian’. I'd say I wanted to be an actress, and he'd say ‘TV newscaster’. It was this constant conversion of my fanciful ambition into these practical, money-making ventures.

*
Jesse: Well, you know, despite all that kind of bullshit that comes along with it, I remember childhood as this, you know, this magical time. I do. I remember when, uh, my mother first told me about death. My great-grandmother had just died, and my whole family had just visited them in Florida. I was about 3 - 3 and a half years old. Anyway, I was in the backyard, playing, and my sister had just taught me how to take the garden hose, and do it in such a way that, uh, you could spray it into the sun, and you could make a rainbow. And so I was doing that, and through the mist I could see my grandmother. And she was just standing there, smiling at me. And uh, then I held it there, for a long time, and I looked at her. And then finally, I let go of the nozzle, you know, and then I dropped the hose, and she disappeared. And so I went back inside, and I tell my parents, you know. And they, uh, sit me down give me big rap on how when people die you never see them again, and how I'd imagined it. But, I knew what I'd seen. And I was just glad that I saw that. I mean, I've never seen anything like that since. But, I don't know. It just kind of let me know how ambiguous everything was, you know, even death.

*
Jesse: Excuse me, excuse me, uh, sprechen sie English?
Fatty on the bridge: Ja, of course.
Skinny: Couldn't you speak German for a change?
Jesse: What?
Skinny: No, it was a joke.
Jesse: Well, listen, we just got into Vienna today, and we're looking for something fun to do.
Céline: Like museums, exhibitions, things...
Skinny (“the cow”): But museums are not that funny any more these days.

*
Jesse: Tell me something that really pisses you off, really drives you crazy.
Céline: Pisses me off. My God. Everything pisses me off.
Jesse: Okay, okay, list a couple.
Céline: Uh, okay. I hate being told by a strange man, a strange man in the street, you know, like, to smile, like, to make them feel better about their boring life, um, what else? I hate, I hate that 300 kms from here there's a war going on, you know, people are dying, and nobody knows what to do about it, or they don't give a shit, I don't know. I hate that the media, you know, they are trying to control our minds.
Jesse: The media?
Céline: Yeah, the media. You know it's very subtle, but you know, its a new form of fascism. Um, I hate, I hate when I am in foreign countries, especially in America, they are the worst. Each time I wear black, or like, lose my temper, or say anything about anything, they always go 'oh, it's so French, it's so cute.' (she mimics a puke) I hate that! I can't stand that, really.

*
Jesse: Do you believe in reincarnation?
Céline: Yeah. Yeah, it's interesting.
Jesse: Yeah, right. Well, most people, you know, a lot of people talk about past lives and things like that, you know? And even if they don't believe it in some specific way, you know, people have some kind of notion of an eternal soul, right?
Céline: Yeah.
Jesse: Okay. Well, this is my thought. 50,000 years ago, there are not even a million people on the planet. 10,000 years ago, there's like 2,000,000 people on the planet. Now, there's between 5 and 6 billion people on the planet, right? Now, if we all have our own, like, individual, unique soul, right, where do they all come from? Are modern souls only a fraction of the original souls? Because if they are, that represents a 5,000-to-1 split of each soul in just the last 50,000 years, which is like a blip in the earth's time. You know, so, at best, we're like these tiny fractions of people, you know, walking... I mean, is that why we're all so scattered? You know, Is that why we're all so specialized?
Céline: I don't know. Wait a minute, I'm not sure... I don't...
Jesse: Yeah, hang on, hang on. It's a, it's a totally scattered thought. It... which is kind of why it makes sense.


Music shop “Alt & Neu”, Kath Bloom's song:
There's a wind that blows in from the north,
And it says that loving takes it's course.
Come here. Come here.
No I'm not impossible to touch,
I have never wanted you so much.
Come here. Come here.
Have I never lay down by your side?
Baby, let's forget about this pride.
Come here. Come here.
Well, I'm in no hurry.
You don't have to run away this time.
I know that you're jimmied,
But it's gonna be all right this time.

*
Céline: I always liked the idea of all those unknown people lost in the world. When I was a little girl, I thought that if none of your family or friends knew you were dead, then it's like not really being dead. People can invent the best and the worst for you. (She sees a gravestone, and indicates it). Ah, here she is, I think. Yeah, this is, this is the one I remember the most. (Name on gravestone is Elizabeth). She was only 13 when she died. That meant something to me, you know, I was around that age when I first saw this. Hmm. Now, I'm 10 years older, and she's still, 13, I guess. That's funny.

*
Jesse: I mean, everybody's parents fuck them up. You know, rich kids' parents gave them too much, poor kids' not enough. Too much attention, not enough attention. They either left them, or you know, they stuck around and taught them the wrong things.

*
Jesse: I remember my mother once. She told me, right in front of my father, they were having this big fight, that he didn't really want to have me, you know, that he was really pissed off when he found out that she was pregnant with me, you know, that I was this big mistake. And I think that really shaped the way I think. I always saw the world as this place where I really wasn't meant to be.

*
Jesse: You know, I know happy couples. But I think they lie to each other.


The palm reader: Oh, so, you have been on a journey, and you are stranger to this place. You, an adventure, you seek. An adventure in your mind. You are interested in the power of the woman, in a woman's deep strength, and creativity? You are becoming this woman. You need to resign yourself to the awkwardness of life. Only if you find peace within yourself, will you find true connection with others. (indicates, with her head, Jesse) That is a stranger to you?... You are both stars, don't forget. And the stars exploded billions of years ago, to form everything that is this world. Everything we know, is stardust. So don't forget, you are stardust.

Céline: ...I mean, she knew I was on vacation, and that we didn't know each other, and that (laughs) I was going to become this great woman.

Jesse: Aw c'mon. …You know. I mean, just once, I'd love to see, some little old lady, save up all her money, you know, to go to the fortune teller, and she'd get there, all excited about hearing her future, and the woman would say (taking Céline's hand, mimicking a fortune teller, including the voice) UmHmm. Tomorrow, and all your remaining days will be exactly like today-A tedious collection of hours. And you will have no new passions, and no new thoughts, and no new travels, and when you die, you'll be completely forgotten. 50 shillings, please. You know, that, I'd like to see.

*
Céline: I was in an old church like this with my grandmother a few days ago in Budapest. Even though I reject most of the religious things, I can't help but feeling for all those people that come here lost or in pain, guilt, looking for some kind of answers. It fascinates me how a single place can join so much pain and happiness for so many generations.
…I always have this strange feeling that I am this very old woman laying down about to die. You know, that my life is just her memories, or something.

*

Street Poet:
Daydream delusion, limousine eyelash
Oh baby with your pretty face
Drop a tear in my wineglass
Look at those big eyes
See what you mean to me
Sweet-cakes and milkshakes
I'm a delusion angel
I'm a fantasy parade
I want you to know what I think
Don't want you to guess anymore
You have no idea where I came from
We have no idea where we're going
Lodged in life
Like branches in a river
Flowing downstream
Caught in the current
I carry you
You'll carry me
That's how it could be
Don't you know me?
Don't you know me by now?

Jesse: You know he probably didn't just write that. I mean, you know he wrote it, but he probably just plugs that word in, you know, whatever 'milkshake'...

*
Jesse: It's all these people talking about how great technology is, and how it saves all this time. But, what good is saved time, if nobody uses it? If it just turns into more busy work. ...I mean, you never hear somebody say, "Well, you know, with, uh, the time I've saved by using my word processor, I'm gonna go to a Zen monastery and hang out." I mean, you never hear that.

*
Jesse: People always talk about how love is this totally unselfish, giving thing, but if you think about it, you know, there's nothing more selfish.



Céline: You know, I have this awful paranoid thought, that feminism was mostly invented by men, so they could, like, fool around a little more. You know, women, free your minds, free your bodies, sleep with me. We're all happy and free as long as I can fuck as much as I want.

*
Jesse: Everything that's interesting costs a little bit of money. I'm telling you.

*
Jesse: I heard about this old guy, who was watching some young people dance. And he said, how beautiful. They're trying to shake off their genitals, and become angels.

*
Céline: isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?
…You know, I believe if there's any kind of God, it wouldn't be in any of us. Not you, or me... but just this little space in between. If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed, but... who cares, really? The answer must be in the attempt.


Céline: We were in the lounge car, and he began to talk about him, as a little boy, seeing his great-grandmother's ghost. I think that's when I fell for him. Just the idea of this little boy with all those beautiful dreams. He trapped me.
I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away.

Céline: It's like our time together is just ours. Its our own creation. It must be like I'm in your dream, and you in mine, or something.
Jesse: And what's so cool is that this whole evening, all our time together, shouldn't officially be happening.
Céline: Yeah, I know. Maybe that's why this feels so otherworldly. But then the morning comes, and we turn into pumpkins, right?

*
Jesse: This friend of mine had a kid, and it was a home birth, so he was there helping out and everything. And he said at that profound moment of birth, uh, he was watching this child, experiencing life for the first time, I mean, trying to take it's first breath... all he could think about was that he was looking at something that was gonna die someday.

*
Jesse: It's just usually it's myself that I wish I could get away from. Seriously, think about this. I have never been anywhere that I haven't been. I've never had a kiss when I wasn't one of the kissers. You know, I've never, um, gone to the movies, when I wasn't there in the audience. I've never been out bowling, if I wasn't there, you know making some stupid joke. I think that's why so many people hate themselves. Seriously, it's just they are sick to death of being around themselves. …of course I'm sick of myself. But being with you, uh, it had made me feel like I'm somebody else…

*
Jesse recalls Dylan Thomas reciting W.H. Auden poem:
All the clocks in the city
Began to whir, and chime.
Oh, let not time deceive you,
You can not conquer time.
In headaches and in worry,
Vaguely life leaks away.
And time will have its fancy,
Tomorrow, or today.

*
Céline: I think I could really fall in love when I know everything about someone. The way he's gonna part his hair. Which shirt he's gonna wear that day. Knowing the exact story he'd tell in a given situation. I'm sure that's when I'd know I'm really in love.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...